Here are some important tips which ones MUST carefully read and also follow for their own safety.
- You must always sign at the back of your credit card as soon as it arrives
- Memorize or note down your 3 digit CVV number and blacken it on the card
- Always ensure that your credit card is swiped in your presence. 5 Star Hotels or Clubs are no excuses.
- Store your card particulars in a safe place, separate from the card so that you can access this in the event the card is stolen.
- In the event of your card being stolen, inform the card company immediately and get the card blocked.
- Subscribe to SMS Alerts, if they are offered and work at all [HDFC Bank’s Alerts are useless] ICICI Bank’s alert are really real time. ICICI Bank sends alerts to your mobile immediately after every transaction.
- When your credit card expires, cut into atleast 3 pieces such that the magnetic piece is also cut at 3 different places.
The credit card companies [including SBI, HDFC, etc] in India are functioning really below expectations and if you decide to have one, you should be extremely careful as the regulator RBI and Finance Ministry are least bothered about citizens woes.