Authentic Data is so essential for Business Analysts and in the light of the same we are going to provide to you some Authentic Data on the Size of Credit Card and Debit Card market in India for Calendar Year 2011.
Firstly, we have uploaded Data on Credit Card and Debit Cards issued by each bank in India for CY 2010. CY 2011 data [Dec-31st 2011] is with us and is used in this analysis. India had 17.67 Mn Credit Cards and 26.37 Mn Debit Cards in Circulation. Breakup of Cards as shown in CY 2010 for CY 2011 is available on request.
- Credit Card Spend by Indians in 2011 Rs 90,872 Cr [$18.17 Bn at an exchange rate of 1 USD = Rs 50]compared to Rs 71, 461 Cr in 2010 [$14.29 Bn].
- Debit Card Spend by Indians in 2011 was Rs 49,761 Cr [$10 Bn ] compared to Rs 35,445 Cr [ $ 7.08 Bn] in 2010.
- Average Spend on each Credit Card in India in 2010 is Rs 39,481 for the whole year or Rs 3290 / Month
- Average Spend on each Debit Card in India in 2010 is Rs 16,409 for the whole year or Rs 1367 / Month
- Average Spend on each Credit Card in India in 2011 is Rs 51,631 for the whole year or Rs 4302 / Month
- Average Spend on each Debit Card in India in 2011 is Rs 18,870 for the whole year or Rs 1572 / Month
Debit Card Spends do not include ATM Transactions. Only authorizations at Retail or Online Point of Sale Systems are included.
One notices that the number of Credit Card Accounts decreased while Debit Cards increased in 2011 which implies 2011 was the year of consolidation in credit cards delinquent accounts. It is really astonishing to know that huge difference in Credit / Debit Card Spend per user per month in 2011 Rs 4302 (Credit Card) Vs Rs 1572 (Debit Card) despite offering rewards on Debit Card spends as well.